Fireplace andirons provide a better draft in the fireplace, better burning of the wood (environmental aspect) and hold the wood so that it cannot easily roll out of the fireplace (safety). No grate is required when using large logs or tree trunks. With smaller logs, it is wise to place a fireplace grate on the beams of the andirons.
Instead of andirons and a grate, you can also opt for a fire basket, where the andirons and the grate form one whole.
Pay attention to the following points when choosing fireplace andirons and a fireplace grate:
- - The depth of the andirons and of the fireplace grate. The fire should be stoked against the back of the fireplace. The stands of the andirons can fall slightly outside the fireplace, as long as the grate is inside.
- - The width of the andirons and the grate. This must fit inside the fireplace. The grate must also fit on the beams of the andirons.
- - The desired material. The beams of the andirons are almost always of wrought iron, but the uprights may be of a different material, such as brass, copper, bronze, ormolu or cast iron. There are also andirons with combinations of materials. Wrought iron andirons can be black or brown. Brown andirons can always be blackened with stove polish, but black andirons can no longer be made brown. Pay attention to the combination with any fireback. Fireplace grates are almost always made of wrought iron or cast iron and are usually black. However, after a few fires, the grate, like the beams of the fireplace andirons, will be ash-grey. The uprights of the fireplace andirons usually hold their color for a long time.
- - The style. Make sure that the style of the fireplace andirons matches the style of the fireplace and of any fireback. This may be the same style, but also different styles. Of course this is again a matter of taste. Simple fireplace andirons can look great with a richly decorated fireback and vice versa.
- - Presence of spit hooks on the andirons. If you enjoy grilling or barbecuing in the fireplace, then you can choose andirons with spit hooks. You put the spit on the hooks and rotate it occasionally, or you let the rotation be done by a turnspit, see also: our collection of fireplace grills. Meat products from which the fat drips off, such as chicken and sausages etc., are always grilled in front of the fire. Beef can be roasted over the fire.
When selecting a fireplace basket or grate
- - The depth of the basket, whereby the grate of the basket must fit into the fireplace. Any ornamental uprights may stand in front of the fireplace.
- - The width of the fire basket. This must fit inside the fireplace.
- - The desired material, where the grate of the basket is almost always made of wrought iron or cast iron.
- - The style. Make sure that the style of the fire basket matches the style of the fireplace and of any fireback. A fireback can be used if the basket itself does not have a cast iron back.
Let us advise you
In our webshop, it is possible to select andirons or a fireplace grate by size, type, material, style, age and origin. Should you have any doubts about your choice, feel free to call us (+31.653493998) or e-mail us (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you want to combine multiple fireplace accessories, we can propose a combination based on your wishes and/or take pictures of the selected fireplace accessories so that you can see whether it forms one beautiful whole.
More about andirons and fireplace grates: