500+ firebacks and a large choice of fireplace accessories
Our website features a large collection of antique firebacks and andirons. We provide all the fireplace accessories you need to beautify your fireplace and increase its heat radiation. Take into account that:
- A cast iron fireback takes heat otherwise lost and radiates this heat into the room. A fireback thus works like a radiator and may increase the efficiency of the fire by as much as 50%. The thicker/heavier the fireback, the longer and softer this radiative effect will be.
- We have a huge range of antique firebacks and other accessories.We offer more than 500 old and antique cast iron firebacks, more than 250 pairs of antique fire dogs – andirons, and a large collection of other types of antique fireplace accessories. You can use the Advanced Search and Sort functions to find the right selection of size, price, age, weight and name for you.
- We provide expert advice.We can advise you on the size, style and functionality of our fireplace accessories as well as how to combine different fireplace accessories to create a beautiful, matching set. We can also send you pictures of desired combinations of fireplace accessories.
- We deliver within 1-3 working days at competitive prices. To the UK we charge €15 up to 30 kg and €37,50 up to 45 kg. We offer duty free express shipping to the US and Canada at very reasonable rates. All the items shown on this site are in stock, can be ordered online, and will be delivered within 3 working days both in Europe and the US. We deliver worldwide.
Pure and Noble
The oldest fireback dates back to 1460 and was used by French royalty. Originally, firebacks were luxury items to be used exclusively by the royalty and aristocracy. Thus the early firebacks show the crowns and coats of arms of royalty and aristocracy. Later the firebacks received more decorative designs depicting classical stories, nature, and rural lives.
The fireback has always had two important functions:
1. It protects the backside of the fireplace against cracking and chipping.
2. The thick iron keeps the heat that would otherwise be lost and gives this heat back to the room. A fireback thus works like a radiator and may increase the efficiency of the fire by as much as 50%. The thicker or heavier the fireback, the longer and softer this radiative effect.
A fireplace can never match the efficiency of a stove. However, burning wood is a low carbon option. The carbon dioxide produced when burning is approximately the same as the carbon dioxide absorbed by the tree during its lifetime. As long as the wood is not transported over long distances using fossil fuels, the CO2 emission of a fire is significantly lower than that of fossil fuels.
A fireplace provides warmth, security and style, even if the fireplace isn't usually the main source of heating anymore. An antique fireback reinforces this by the honesty of the material and the timelessness, beauty and historical significance of the fireback.
Also, the antique fireback can be used in places other than the fireplace such as a backsplash for a stove or as an elegant decoration on the wall.
How to use this website
All displayed fireplace accessories are singularly available. For each fireback and for most fireplace accessories we have indicated our estimate of its actual age or whether it is a recent reproduction of an old design. We also provide the condition of each fireback. Each fireback is suitable for normal use in the fireplace, including the weathered and cracked firebacks, unless we explicitly state that it is suitable only for decorative use. We describe the various categories of conditions under Tips.
We sort our cast iron firebacks by width to facilitate your selection process. In addition, our Advanced Search function allows you to search our collection by features such as width, height, weight, price, and name. You can save your favorite items in My Favorites and e-mail them to yourself and others.
If you have questions (for example, about the use of firebacks or the nature of specific damage to firebacks) please contact us by phone (+31.653493998 during European business hours) or by e-mail (email@example.com). Also, if you need pictures at a higher resolution, we would be happy to e-mail them to you. We can also send you pictures of desired combinations of fireplace accessories.
You can, of course, see our firebacks for yourself. This is possible by appointment.
We hope that our special collection of unique, old firebacks, andirons, and fireplace accessories will encourage you to further improve your fireplace.